NOTE: “Empty”, “Low Ink”, “Out of Ink“, “Counterfeit” and “Non-Genuine Cartridge” alerts are COMPLETELY NORMAL for all HP 65 & HP 65XL black and color ink cartridges which have been refilled!
While at first this may be an unusual workflow, it does allow print operations to proceed. Just press the printer’s Resume button and print operations should proceed normally.
HP 65 & 65XL Low Ink Errors:
SEVERE CARTRIDGE ERRORS
If printing is prohibited then there may be an internal electrical issue with one of the ink cartridges.
3 Types of Alert Messages:
– Information Alerts. When a refilled HP 65 or HP 65XL ink cartridge is installed it is normal to receive alerts such as ‘non-genuine cartridge’ or ‘used color/black cartridge’. These may be bypassed by selecting ‘Dismiss’, ‘Ok’, or ‘Continue’.
– Nuisance Messages. After a refilled HP 65 or HP 65XL ink cartridge is detected it is normal to receive alerts such as ‘low on ink’, ‘counterfeit’, ‘used’, ‘fraud’, ‘refilled’, or ‘depleted’ cartridge. These my be bypassed by selecting ‘Dismiss’, ‘Ok’, or ‘Continue’.
HP Nuisance Alert Messages
Following the installation of a refilled ink cartridge, nuisance or annoyance messages will typically be displayed after the initial ‘low ink’ or ‘non-genuine’ ink messages.
NOTE: If a “Non-HP Cartridge(s)” or “Very Low on Ink”, or similar message cannot be bypassed then the cartridge may be suffering from marginal internal electrical performance and may need to be replaced with a new one. First remove and thoroughly clean cartridges electrical contacts & printer flex cable contacts and retest (refer to Printer Maintenance). If the problem persists then return cartridge to your refiller for analysis.
Cartridge Failure Error Messages
- Blinking cartridge lights on the printer.
- A message that says “Cartridge Missing or Not Detected”, “Incompatible Print Cartridge”, “Black/Color Cartridge Problem”, “Refer to printer documentation”, “Cartridge in Left/Right slot is not intended for use in this printer”, or similar, on your monitor or on the printer display.
– Severe Errors. When a HP 65 or HP 65XL ink cartridge has poor connectivity (between contacts and flex cable inside printer) or is suffering from marginal internal micro-electrical performance, you may observe error messages such as ‘incompatible cartridges’, ‘print cartridges error’, ‘cartridge missing or not detected’, ‘refer to documentation’, ‘cartridge in left/right slot is missing’, etc. In addition, the power light may be blinking while the error message is displayed. In some cases, errors can be cleared by removing and cleaning the ink cartridges and printer flex cable contacts. If not, then it is suggested to run the cartridge health diagnostics (‘tap 41’) check or perform a cartridge error bypass (available on select printer models) to confirm that the ink cartridge is damaged.
– Cartridge Electrical Failures. Severe HP 65 or 65XL cartridge errors are primarily caused by an electrical breakdown at the cartridge’s nozzle plate. Ink penetration or corrosion into the nozzle plate will cause a failure of the tiny micro-electronics resulting in a variety of different error messages being displayed.
– Cartridge Diagnostics. The cartridge’s electrical health can be verified by running the ‘Tap 41’ diagnostics at the printer’s control panel (NOTE: not available on all printer models). If the ‘Tap 41’ or ‘Tap 10’ service test print is successful this only means the printer is functional, one (or both) of the ink cartridges may still be electrically damaged and may not support/allow NORMAL print operations to proceed.
Perform either of the following procedures:
- Turn printer Power ON; wait 15 seconds for printer to fully energize.
- PRESS AND HOLD the Cancel (X) button.
- Press the Scan button 4 times.
- Release the Power button. The ‘Tap 41’ test report should print within 30 seconds.
- PRESS AND HOLD the Cancel Button (X).
- Open and close the ‘Cartridge Access’ door four (4) times.
- Release the Power button. The ‘Tap 41’ test report should print within 30 seconds.
The diagnostic ‘tap 41’ service test report will print. In the upper/top portion of the service test print, ‘Current Error‘ should state ‘None‘ for a properly functioning ink cartridge.
In the lower portion of the Tap 41 test print, the Black/Color columns should not have any values other than zero (0) displayed. If a value other than zero (0) is displayed in the areas indicated then the cartridge is likely permanently electrically damaged and may need to be replaced with a brand new cartridge.
The contact between the ink cartridge and the printer must be clean for proper functioning. If any dirt, ink or paper dust is on the contacts, the printer may indicate that the ink cartridge is bad. To ensure a clean contact, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Remove and re-install the cartridge
Step 2: Clean the contacts on the printer and the ink cartridge
Step 3: Run a self-test and/or re-set the printer. Refer to Printer Model page (if available) or HP Printer Diagnostics page from the selections above.
To view advanced diagnostics tests for your printer, click here:
Poor Print Quality or Missing Colors:
If any streaks or missing colors appear on prints, thoroughly clean the cartridge’s electrical contacts and printer’s flex driver cable surface. If the cartridge is clogged then a warm water flush may be necessary to recover all colors. Click here for instructions.
NOTE 1: Replacing the ink cartridge is the best way to verify cartridge/printer performance.
NOTE 2: All integrated ink cartridges being repeatedly refilled eventually do fail. Some cartridges/printers may encounter an unavoidable mechanical or electrical failure which is unrelated to refilling. Check for physical damage on the cartridge. Look at the print cartridge and see if there are any cracks, tears or missing elements. Any one of these can cause a failure. In these cases, you will need to purchase a new cartridge and start the refill process again after it has run out.
Refill Center Locations:
Common Error Messages & Printer Tips (select printer model):
- HP Deskjet 3720 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiRyC0wJNM
- HP Deskjet 3752 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8YvM15P3nk
- HP Deskjet 3755 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D87ozO-VE9A
- HP DeskJet 3755, J9V90A Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6uU-hPxsI
- HP DeskJet 3755, J9V91A Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8W7LMENpxM
- HP DeskJet 3755, J9V92A Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH428-YFhPY
- HP DeskJet 2620 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuWKtMtTr8o
- HP DeskJet 2621 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVK08uBp1EQ
- HP DeskJet 2622 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoO7AySgKY
- HP DeskJet 2624 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWemay2fJpM
- HP DeskJet 2630 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1rQGq7bFnY
- HP DeskJet 2632 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhaKPtvlrMI
- HP DeskJet 2633 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XPpjHdL80
- HP DeskJet 2652 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTwTIy37KI
- HP DeskJet 2655 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j-56YKyQ8I
- HP DeskJet 3721 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN_wNlJrwWA
- HP DeskJet 3722 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuPgD4qTTu4
- HP DeskJet 3723 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0tvOg8vG4U
- HP DeskJet 3732 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9oTDGg2gKc
- HP DeskJet 3733 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCq9R_Mtqmo
- HP DeskJet 3735 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgIoJ2FcsVA
- HP DeskJet 3750 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGxeJTFuJPA
- HP DeskJet 3758 Printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trE7Btq-g4E
- HP ENVY 5020 Printer:
- HP ENVY 5030 Printer:
- HP ENVY 5032 Printer:
- HP ENVY 5052 Printer:
- HP ENVY 5055 Printer:
CAUTION: It is suggested you avoid purchasing ‘compatible/clone’ ink cartridges as they can be quite problematic. The smart chip (at base of cartridge) may not provide reliable printer-cartridge connectivity once installed. Compatible/clone cartridges are typically purchased on-line (i.e sold under a different label than the manufacturer) and is essentially a “knock-off” ink cartridge of the OEM (original/genuine) ink cartridge. For the best refilling experience, only use OEM original/genuine ink tanks or remanufactured OEM cartridges which have been cleaned, refilled and tested for proper performance.
Purchase Refilled Cartridges On-Line
If none of our retail ink refill centers are convenient for you and you would like to try a refilled, remanufactured HP 65 or HP 65XL (high capacity) ink cartridge from our on-line web site, INKPLICITY, our ink cartridges have a high reliability rating, come with a 1-year warranty and provide free shipping for all orders above $30 (USA residents only). These ink cartridges also provide ink level monitoring as the rear flex cable with embedded acumen chip is replaced with a new one. BONUS – you can save an extra 15% by entering code ‘SAVE15’ into the coupon/code field during cart checkout: https://www.inkplicity.com/
For all other questions please feel free to contact us: