NOTE: “Empty” and “Low Ink” alerts are COMPLETELY NORMAL for all HP 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ink cartridges which have been refilled! While at first this may be an unusual workflow, it does allow print operations to proceed.
Many of the HP 92 through 99 ink cartridge alert messages you may encounter using refilled ink cartridges may be overcome using the steps provided below. However, in some cases a marginally performing cartridge might be considered faulty by the printer. In this event, printer error bypass and HP diagnostic test procedures have been provided to help you correct and/or diagnose the cause of failure.
Cartridge Health Diagnostics Test (‘Tap 41’):
- Load Letter/A4-size paper into paper feed tray.
- If any lights are blinking, first press Cancel to attempt to clear.
- Press the * and # keys simultaneously.
- Enter 124 (or 123) at keypad. The ‘Underware’ menu should be displayed (or ‘Support xxxx’ menu)
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the System Menu (for select Officejet printer models you may need to go to ‘Reports Menu’). Select Ok.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the ‘print-mech button tap’. Select Ok. Should display “code = 0”.
- Use the arrow keys to enter “code = 41” (or just enter 41 on keypad). Select Ok. The Tap 41 diagnostic test report prints. Refer to 2nd video at link below on how to analyze the printed diagnostic report.
NOTE: If ‘code=41’ does not initiate a test report, then enter ‘code = 43’.
The diagnostics test print is printed using color ink from the color cartridge. A good HP 93/95/97 color cartridge should display 600 nozzles, while a good HP 92/94/96/98 black ink cartridge should show 672 nozzles. You can remove the tri-color cartridge, reactivate the tap 41 test and the printer will print the diagnostic test print in black ink.
Alternative Cartridge Error Bypass Procedure (Emergency Printing Only)
- Remove ink cartridges from printer:
- press 4 + # + OK simultaneously, this should display the Information Menu.
- Using the navigation arrow keys, go to CHECKSUM FOR RELOCK DATA INPUT
- Install both ink cartridges.
- Press Ok five (5) times.
- Exit by pressing the Cancel (X) Button.
- Attempt to send emergency print job thru to printer. If this doesn’t work the 1st time you may need to repeat 2 or 3 times to ensure relock data clears.
To view advanced diagnostics tests for your printer model, click here:
Poor Print Quality or Missing Colors:
If any streaks or missing colors appear on prints, thoroughly clean the cartridge’s electrical contacts and printer’s flex driver cable surface. If the cartridge is clogged then a warm water flush may be necessary to recover all colors. Click here for instructions.
NOTE 1: Replacing the ink cartridge is the best way to verify cartridge/printer performance.
NOTE 2: All cartridges being repeatedly refilled eventually do fail. Some cartridges/printers may encounter an unavoidable mechanical or electrical failure which is unrelated to refilling. Check for physical damage on the cartridge. Look at the print cartridge and see if there are any cracks, tears or missing elements. Any one of these can cause a failure. In these cases, you will need to purchase a new cartridge and start the refill process again after it has run out.
If your ink cartridge suffered an electronic or physical failure or you are unable to find a refill store close to you may we suggest you try a remanufactured ink cartridge from our on-line web site. Our ink cartridges have a high reliability rating, come with a 1-year warranty and we provide free shipping for all orders above $20 (USA residents only).